This article provides the answer to the query Who Owns Pittsburgh Penguins and mentions related information.
All successful and popular sports have franchises and league tournaments that attract the masses. Hockey is undoubtedly one of the most popular games globally, and many leading nations play the game.
The game also has a very successful league in the NHL. Users are recently gaining interest in knowing more about the ownership of a franchise in this league due to some recent news. It has made the query Who Owns Pittsburgh Penguins trending.
Users in Canada and the United States are especially keen to know more about these recent developments. Keep reading this article to get more information about the same.
What is the NHL?
The NHL or The National Hockey League is one of the oldest, most prestigious, and well-reputed hockey leagues. It’s a professional ice hockey league that comprises teams from both the US and Canada.
The NHL is counted among the most profitable and wealthiest sporting leagues globally, only behind some leagues like the NFL, NBA, etc. We’ll answer Who Owns Pittsburgh Penguins shortly.
Who are The Pittsburgh Penguins?
- The Pittsburgh Penguins is one of the most well-known and popular teams competing in the NHL.
- As the name suggests, the team is based in Pittsburgh and plays their home games at the PPG Paints Arena.
- They’re a member of the Metropolitan Division of the Eastern Conference and have qualified six times for the finals.
- They have been a part of the league since 1967 and have achieved the remarkable feat of winning the league a total of five times out of their six final matches.
Who Owns Pittsburgh Penguins?
- The ownership of the franchise has come under the spotlight because of some related reports.
- Sources suggest that the ownership of this popular franchise may soon come into another party’s hands.
- The current owners of the franchise are the Lemieux Group LP, Debra Cafaro, and John Surma.
- The primary owners of the franchise are Mario Lemieux and Ron Burkle of the Lemieux Group.
- They had owned the franchise since 1999 when it was facing a financial crisis. They’ve played an integral role in rebuilding the franchise and a pivotal role in their success.
- Who Owns Pittsburgh Penguins? Sources suggest that Fenway Sports Group may become the team’s new owners if a proposed deal goes through.
- Notably, Fenway Sports Group also owns the Boston Red Sox and the Liverpool Soccer team.
- Sources suggest that the deal may go for nearly $850M if the proposed plan goes through, which is expected soon.
- However, officially, the ownership of the franchise hasn’t changed yet.
- Read more about this franchise here.
The Final Verdict
The ownership of the Pittsburgh Penguins in the NHL is gaining traction because of some recent news. So, Who Owns Pittsburgh Penguins? Officially, it’s the Lemieux Group, Debra Cafaro, and John Surma, until the proposed selling goes through and Fenway Sports become the new owners.
What are your thoughts on this news? Kindly share them in the comments section.